Single and Straightforward but Happy

On his album, MusiqintheMagiq, Musiq Soulchild has this track, Single, that has become more than my theme song.

It has become my anthem, my kick boxing jam, my wake up sound, and my ringtone. As much as I have dissected this song and contemplated its awesomeness, it still surprises me that on this vast planet a collection of men think the same way as the message of the song. As a single woman, I can appreciate the beauty of faithfulness in other couples. Ten years ago, I thought I would have been married with two kids, one on the way, and working as a nurse. Then, real life kicked my behind all around the east coast.

I grew up kind of sheltered, but my parents and brothers broke down the game of life the best they could for my sister and me. Either way, there are some things that I am still getting used to seeing and dealing with living on my own. Examples? In an act of community service, I helped pick up trash on my street with other organizations. I saw many used needles in the gutters. Huh and eww! Before, I didn't know what a dime bag was. Now that I do know, I wish that I didn't. And then there's that thing about domestic abuse...

This is a subject I have been passionate about since I was ten years old. In one way or another, I was affected by it directly and indirectly. I had certain friends that I happily let go because of their manipulation and verbal assaults. Plus, I am just so sick and tired of women getting hurt by the man that is supposed to love them. Really, how is slapping the woman you love manly?

Control. Possession. Sadly, it goes hand-in-hand.

I have a problem with people who are ego-tripping. I'll tell a person in a hot minute that they can control their appetite but they can't control me. I don't talk about it much (and I can't even believe I'm about to blog this) but when I was stalked, my feelings weren't considered. It was about what the other person wanted, possession regardless of the cost. The last time I checked, God gave all individuals free will and a mind so they can make their own decisions. So...what audacity do you think you have making me feel like I have to surrender my free will to you, another imperfect human being? Have you lost your mind?

It's sad that domestic violence is one of the reasons why I am in no rush to get married. I know all men aren't like that but how they become that way is what concerns and angers me. I don't want to walk around angry and guarded just to keep my sanity. I swear if it wasn't for prayer, music and writing, I don't know what I would be doing with my life.

I should just take advantage of my singlehood and keep making personal progress.

Photo courtesy of eurweb.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

My Interview with Eboyne' Jackson

Another Google Adventure