Why I Love I Would Die 4 U by Prince and the Revolution from Purple Rain Soundtrack

Unpublished, September 2010

As a young kid, I had a hard time understanding Prince because of his falsetto voice and his display of sexuality. After hearing this song and watching his Purple Rain movie in high school, I began seeing the Purple One in a new light.

The first time I heard this song, I was sixteen (2003) and home sick from school. I happened to catch the last few scenes of the movie on VH1. As crappy as I felt that day, I found myself spontaneously dancing to the upbeat tempo. The song just made me feel better emotionally. Suddenly the song lead to another memory I had of not him, but his picture when I was three years old. Let me repeat this for reference sake, I was a three year old little kid who understood little (or nothing) about Prince, his music, and color.

It was the Arsenio Hall Show in the early 1990's and they showed a picture of his album cover, LoveSexy. When this picture popped on the TV screen, I cried to my mom screaming, 'MOM! There's a naked white man on TV!' Laughing at this memory, I gained a better understanding of the Black funky rock star's spiritual quest in this sequel, Grafitti Bridge.

It's no doubt that Prince was and is an influential charismatic musician in the industry. So what if he he toned down his sexuality and went all independent with his music? He can still rock his lyrics and riffs with style, swag and soul. [Photo courtesy of Karencivil.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness