Random Round-table: Nerds

Being a nerd was socially unacceptable, until it was time for a big exam. Then the outcasts were temporarily invited inside the cool kids circle, only to be used for the intellectual creativity in their cranium. I've seen ads where it can be sexy (i.e. nice looking girl with thick glasses) or profitable. The awkward appearance, the use of superfluous vocabulary, the nasally execution of the voice when talking to others, and thick coke bottle glasses are the common stereotypes of nerds depicted in movies and TV. As generations evolved, so did the styles and personalities. So what if they are just characters...a girl can dream, right? One day, I began thinking to myself, "If I had the chance to go back to school, I wish these people were in my class..."

5) Michael Evans from Good Times
Photo courtesy of TV Land.


















This little boy always had me cracking up. He was an all-around kid who had a habit of filling his little mind with whatever he could. Dubbed by his father as the Militant Midget, Michael was always promoting Black unity and fighting the power against the man.

4) Raj Thomas from What's Happening
Photo courtesy of Aveleyman.













The ringleader of Rerun and Dwayne, Roger (or Raj) was always the brains behind a plethora of things, from  keeping up with his studies to helping his friends find romance. Granted this show is older than me, but it touches on subjects that modern-day college students and post-grads are facing. Plus, he made intelligence attractive (yeah I said it).

3) Dwayne Wayne from A Different World

Photo courtesy of Sitcoms Online.















I don't care what anyone says, this was a dope man. Next to my older brothers, I looked up to this cat. He was a class clown turned class act. One of the most successful turnarounds in sitcom history, he became a mentor to the new generation and won the heart of southern bell, Whitley Gilbert, another one of my favorite characters.

2) Lynn Searcy from Girlfriends


Photo courtesy of Spoken Word Movie.












Five master's degrees is beyond impressive, but talk about finding yourself. The nomadic Girlfriend turned artist knew what was going on in the world despite using school to avoid the real world. After getting a reality check from Toni Childs, she applied her knowledge to her life, friends, and finding her true identity while being the life of her group. A little unconventional, but hey, she proved that you live, you learn, and you succeed.

1) BJ from FAIL

Photo courtesy of Fail Show.












Another awkward Black girl, I dig this chick. Billie Jean (or BJ for short) is a quirky college student who is focused on setting high academic goals for herself in her first semester. She's the chick that wants to fit in and finds out that being herself is all she needs to do, no matter how abnormal she may seem to others. I mean, after all, who decides what's normal anyway? With her clique, she's never alone and can accomplish anything.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness