Music Class

I had the most intriguing memory from my adolescence. This will eventually turn into a poem, when it's time.

As a teenager, I like to listen to different kinds of music (and still holds true today). My mom showed concern because I was into heavy metal, alternative rock, and grunge. In her mind, the Four Tops and the Staple Singers can never top Alice in Chains and Metallica. One day, she said she needed to talk to me. I thought I was gettin grounded all up and through for not washing the dishes. Out of the blue, she informed me that she was subscribing me to Vibe Magazine and wanted me to stay up-to-date on the news in Black music.

Not knowing what to think, she handed me my first issue addressed to me. I was waiting for her to tell me when my thesis would be done for each issue. Unsure of what she was trying to say, I kept the issues and read them while listening to my regular music. I appreciated what she was trying to do, but at the time rap and hip hop was going through changes I couldn't bring myself to agree with.

As I was delving into more heavy metal, I began listening to the messages and contents of the lyrics. I wish I could remember off the top of my head what some of the songs were but I know some of the subject themes induced thoughts of violence, abuse, sex, suicide, and the such. For the record, I am not saying that all rock music is infused with it. However, I understand her concern ten years later. As I slowing began stepping away from that, I found solace in mostly Linkin Park and got myself back into genuine and old school hip hop.

The messages I was receiving from music helped me understand daily social distortion and stupidity. This was around the same time Brown Sugar was buzzing. Now every time this memory pops into my head, Poetry by Boogie Down Productions kicks in. I still laugh at her tactic because...I really don't know what else to do. All I can say is thanks mom. I eventually came back into my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness