Write or Die (too much)?

For the economically deranged freelance hustlers...

After examining the in-between gigs of sites like Demand Studios, Freelance Writing Gigs and Yahoo!, I'm starting to realize that it may be time for me to put the ice cream carton down and [wo]man up!

I came across a post I saw on my old professor's page that said, "WHENEVER YOU THINK ABOUT QUITTING, THINK ABOUT WHY YOU STARTED." So I sat in the middle of my small, roomy space and began contemplating what it was that drove me into the business of the wordplay.
  • Writing has always calmed me down when I feel I could talk to my human counterparts (family, friends, etc)
  • I appreciate the power of the tongue, pen, and paper
  • I admit, I watched more than a necessary amount of TV growing up, but some of my inspiration had to come from somewhere
  • It takes me out of the ever-changing normal anomalies in the world
  • I get to have just a smidge of power and control over what I want to happen in this greedy, loveless world.
Despite my awkward hand-writing, the content of my message could not be any clearer. Writing has been a part of my life in ways I'm starting to realize. I even personify it as a newborn child in one of my poems. It has become so embedded in my inner self, it's almost as important as breathing. While I was scoring high grades in high school English class for my creative writing classes, I have had people tell me that I wasn't talented enough because my writing was horrible. It took quite an interesting toll on me, so much that I nearly stopped. But I couldn't.

Most people collect bottle caps, trading cards, barbie dolls...I was collecting pens and notebooks. It didn't matter if it was from the Just-A-Buck Store or Barnes and Noble, I would be writing my nights away. Not to mention that despite my so-called horrible writing, not only was I blessed to work my way up to the editor-in-chief of my alma mater's socio-cultural magazine, I interned at Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia and Honey Magazine, got to interview one of my favorite actresses (Kym Whitley), and I won 3rd place in the Sleuth Pro Poetry Slam...my first slam ever.

I have watched people slam, I've done poetry readings and open mics, but I have never slammed. This is kind of big for me at the moment. The majority of me writing this post was more focused towards the freelance journalism I've been doing for the past four years. The experience and clips are awesome to have. I mean, after the interviews, follow-ups, research and transcribing, nothing says job well done like your name on the masthead and given full credit for your work. However, a paycheck would sound even better.

From the words of a writer with a day job staying on her grind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness