More Jackson Thoughts

I spent the last couple of days researching the life and times of La Toya Jackson and finally purchased her latest memoir, Starting Over. I didin't even realize it was a New York Times best-seller, plus within my budget.

I read some of this book online already and am prepared with some tissues, my Bible, orange juice, and my Jimmy Neutron DVD. I recently took on an additional role to my life as a domestic violence volunteer and Jackson's story really lingered in my inner-being. In my July post, I wrote about my curiousity about her and my article, Sexual Schizophrenia, where I compare and contrast sexuality between genders and race in society. The point in my paper (which I will post when I find it) was that women of color suffer the most from negative stigma. Jackson suffered the most from what I have searched out and I'm hoping that people will start having a little more respect for her efforts, career, and the control that she has for herself once again.

In her book, she mentions her kid brother, Michael. It's been a little over three years since I was walking around the streets of Manhattan hearing every Michael Jackson song flood from ever car at every corner. Many people reacted to it differently and for those who know me most send me mad text messages, calls, and inboxed me to see if I was ok. And then it hit me why I took his death so hard...


Photo courtesy of Last FM.
 I correlated Michael Jackson's untimely death to my father's untimely death. Joseph and Katherine Jackson lost a son. The siblings lost an older brother/younger brother. Prince, Paris, and Blanket lost a father. Many nieces and nephews lost an uncle. The world lost a legend. I was about Prince's age when I lost my father so I know that feeling all to well.

Just hit a little too home for me. Just bloggin'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness