Publishing Terror

As I balance my days between the 9-to-5 and the pen-and-paper on the side, I find myself nervous and confused about self-publishing.

I'm still editing the second draft of my chapbook, Slow to Anger, and my very awesome friend, Poetyc Visionz did my book cover. By the looks of things, I better get goin on dee good foot fast. Ironic. I already let the anger channel through my being and my book was one result. Now, I have to let the anxiety channel through me so I can see the finished copy?

Scattering the searches through sites like Outskirts Press, CreateSpace, and the newly formed SheWrites Press, I also thumbed through the pages of the annual Poet's Market and Writer's Market. I remember when I first moved to Dutchess County last year and I began This Year You Will Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley in the public library. I spent nights reading the book inside the library, taking notes in my notebook on the tips I needed to get myself going. The ambition, determination, and creativity was there, and sadly, so was the procrastination.

Because of my relocating and various personal events in my life, my freelance writing suffered a lot last year (forgive my redundancy). It angered me to come to terms with this fact at the time, but it was so true. I used to be on point with my writings, deadlines, and logging calls, appointments, interviews...that was the sassy Miss Rivers my mom got used to in between house chores and pancakes. What happened?

Again, personal life events that I'll just keep in my diary for now, along with the downfall of the economy and IMS/PMS-driven job market...but that's another story. As I reflect on my quarter-life crisis, I think about the many jobs I've had to far in my life. I'm gonna paraphrase what I saw my friend post to her Tumblr; business can pay the bills you need to live, but art and creativity can make living worth while.

Back to work before I get ready for work.



Photo courtesy of Madame Noire Magazine.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness