D's Thoughts (These Thoughts...)

I know this commentary is probably late, and I'm probably sure I don't care. I'm still posting it.

Photo courtesy of People.
I took it kind of hard when rapper Heavy D suddenly passed away back in November. I know I wasn't the only one. The feeling of depression lingered in my soul for a mean minute because I kept thinking about how his optimistic music got me through the rough patches of preschool.

As I ranted about how I was coerced into eating vegetables that I could neither spell or stand the taste of, my older brother would pop open a bag of Skittles for me and blast music in his mustang. My brother bounced back and forth between Michael Jackson and hip hop in his car but nothing made me more ecstatic than hearing Jackson and Heavy D merge forces with the single, "Jam." The video was just too fun for words. The positive energy and cameos from Michael Jordan, Wade Robson, and Kriss Kross had me screaming for days.

Heavy D made a lot of sense to my former knuckleheaded 4-year-old self. Rarely would I hear any cursing, defamation, or anything negative in his sound and I always gave my mom a chuckle as I tried to dance to "Now That We Found Love." A new admiration formed for him when I saw him acting on various sitcoms, such as Living Single and Boston Public. I recently saw Tower Heist and got a little teary-eyed when his brief cameo came up. Even though his part was portrayed in a serious fashion, you can't help but think of the positive energy he left you with at the end of his songs.


The rap and hip hop scene was shaken, as it has been many times before. But we still have the memories and we have the love...what are you gonna do with it?

Video courtesy of Youtube user gencfb74.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness