Accidental Weight Loss

My Acquaintance: Hey lady, you look different...did you lose weight?
Me: I didn't mean to...

I kid you not, this was the entire conversation I had not too long ago...


Summer 2009
This was the size I was my last semester of college 2 years ago. I spent that summer living it up in NYC as an intern with Martha Stewart Living. When I wasn't working, I was wondering around Manhattan thinking, "Oh snap, I can't believe I'm here!" A good friend of mine had me walkin' about 100 blocks everyday. It resulted in me gaining my size 9/10 frame back.


Winter 2011 (with my good friend, Mitzy)
After finishing college and getting caught up real life, my weight snuck back up. I'm sort of a stocky chick, but there is no doubt about the fact that I'm a thick woman. Not a problem for me, just like to keep it in tone. Every person that I have come across in my path has doubts and concerns over their stomachs. I'm no different. Size 16 here.  

Late 2011/Early 2012

I didn't understand the weight loss my friends and co-workers were talking about until I took this picture. I accidentally lost 11 lbs late last year. I really had to think about what steps I took toward this accidental achievement. I keep stressing the word, accidental, because I didn't pay attention to the weight I lost. I was more focused on getting through the book of Proverbs, my poetry, student loans, etc. After relaxing and mellowing out with my family (kudos to my siblings for toning up as well), I thought long and hard about the moves I was making.

Exercise:
  • I live in a building with no elevator. So I trek the 30+ steps at least three times a day, six if it's laundry day.
  • I spend my breaks walking around the area. If I can get 20 min/day five days a week, I'm good. If I wanna walk longer, I walk to, and on, the Walkway on the Hudson.
  • My mom and I have been doing exercise videos together since I could walk. We Tae-Bo, step to the aerobics, and jump jacks. Now, I can dance to her Kool and the Gang and Chi'Lites, she'll bounce to my OutKast and Robyn, and we'll cool down with a moonwalk from the King of Pop (like that's new information).
Food:
  • Unless it's a food allergy, I don't go with any one diet. I just eat a little bit here and there. Lately, I've grown quite fond of cauliflower, spinach, and home made bean soup.
  • As long as I can remember, I have been held captive by the sweet tooth. The grocery store ran out of my favorite ice cream flavor for one day and I stop eating it for a month. Now I eat ice cream once a month and drink soda twice a month. The only exception to this rule is if I'm ill and I stock up on ginger ale.
  • Eating to the point that you can't move is neither cool or attractive. Don't stuff yourself. The itis kicks in and the crap just sits there. Drinking hot water curtails the belly aches.
This unorganized chaos worked for me. I'm not gonna tell you to do exactly as it states on my list. We are free agents on this planet Earth. I'm just sharing my weight loss experience like everyone else can and has. Janet wrote a book, J-Hud and Mariah are singing away, and Shaun T. is dancing it away.

Mix and merge, go with the flow, have a good time, and all such colorful alliteration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness