Picture Me Pretty

Beautiful. Fierce. Natural. Captivating. The woman that grabs attention not only in front of the camera but also behind the snapshot is none other than Crystal Jenkins. As a model, photographer, cosmetician, and mother, Jenkins is a force that has no qualms about expressing herself and showing the world who she is through her pictures. Inspiration, determination, and the passion for beauty is indeed a beautiful thing.

“I was a very shy individual in elementary school and I wouldn’t talk to any of the children,” Jenkins states as she talks briefly of her childhood. “When I entered high school, I was more open to people and joined the Track and Field team.” Jenkins was so successful; she maintained her status as an All County Track Runner throughout her years in high school. “Being a track star in high school defiantly gave me popularity,” she added. Contrasting from her childhood beginnings, Jenkins’ personality began to explode when appearing in front of the camera.

“What inspired me to be a model is the love of being in front of the camera and showing the world who I am,” she said. After seeing the emotions captured in her images, she was intrigued by how powerful her emotions represented her life. “People in general have different feelings and emotions everyday…for someone to capture your beauty and emotions is a beautiful thing,” she said. Having her fellow photographers show what they captured out of her, she wanted to know what she could capture out of other models. Most women look in glossy magazines and awe over the glamorous elegance of the models in the pictures; but Jenkins interpreted it as her time to shine despite the challenges that a typical model faces.

“Overall, the industry can be somewhat tough, but I learned to never give up on my goals and dreams,” she said. “Some people take advantage of women and I was certainly tested…but I will not lower my standards as a woman to get to the top.” Staying strong towards her goal and true to herself, Jenkins has stayed focused, hungry for success, and grounded by her number one fan. Jenkins stated that her five-year-old son keeps her at ease whenever things go hectic in her world.

“Whenever things get out of control or when I’m upset, my son he sometimes says, ‘Mommy, don’t cry…I love you,’ it’s so uplifting,” she said. Her son snaps her back into reality to move forward when something sudden wants to pull her back. The opportunities that she has enjoyed keep expanding. The love of her son and sharing her talent and life with the world are some of the many highlights that Jenkins is enjoying as a strong, black, female entrepreneur. Looking at her photos and seeing how she makes other models come alive, sharing her beauty with her fans, and being featured in publications such as Rapindustry.com and Black Star Magazine has made her driven to keep going with her goals…and she’s not done yet.

Jenkins started her own line of cosmetic skincare after dealing with the problems that make up was causing to her skin. “I started to break out from a lot of make up so much,” she started. “I decided to change my eating habits to organic foods, which really helped my skin.” After doing research on organic products, Jenkins discovered how to heal skin without putting a dent in her budget. It was the simple things, like washing her hair with eggs, chopping an avocado for her face, and rubbing fresh strawberries on her teeth that led to the creation of Organic Pure Beauties. Jenkins states that her customers are giving her positive feedback for her products. If her busy life isn’t already successful, she is additionally in the process of becoming a Pennsylvania State Trooper.

Being featured here in Diva Dymes has given Jenkins more energy to keep on keeping on in her multifaceted life. “I think 2009 has lighten the way for most of us black women,” she concludes. Jenkins learned that arrogance can’t play a role in her success, but her success does not and will not stop here.

The spring/summer issue...I know I'm many moons late. Check out the original at www.divadymes-ezine.com!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness