Embracing and Being

I decided to take a break from my freelance journalism....it's just a break. My mind has been shifting gears with other things in my life. Right now, my project is at the forefront of my lyrically stimulating mind.

I am currently working on my novel. My current project is a piece of fiction based off of real life. I knew that I was going to go in this project at 125% and I would have to sacrifice something. I wasn't sacrificing my spiritual needs because...JUST NO! I've already accepted that I would have to work until divine intervention takes place but I know that I need an outlet to get this story out of my soul. The decision to not do any journalistic work for the entire duration of 2017 was a decision I was not ready to seek. Mainly because the creativity in my soul won't sit still for more than two minutes. Plus, as I have mentioned in previous posts, it's so frustrating to pitch to so many publications and people want to either jack you for your ideas, not want to hire you, or hire you but decide not to pay you, or not follow up on pitches, payments, or anything. But I read somewhere in the world they call Instagram that being a writer and not wanting to get rejected is like wanting to be a boxer but not wanting to get punched. I've been knocked down and took some swings myself. As I continue to embrace the challenges and changes in writing (in general as well as my personal style), I hope to leave something positive with a reader. Keep in mind though, I don't want to be famous.

That's a lot of keeping up with the Jones's that will encroach on my unconventional persona. Creative control is such an awesome gift that I am grateful for, I don't want to give it up. When I finish my book this year, I want publishers to take it as is. If they can't I'll publish it as is by myself. If I want something tailored, I'll take my dress to a seamstress. My lyrical and literary artistry won't be changed to appeal to a certain demographic or any of that flimflam. My hope is that anyone who wants to read a creative fictional empowerment piece on a traumatic period in someone's life will either pay attention or be inspired.

In light of the digital bullying revolution that has taken on many forms, I am happy to see that so many people of diverse backgrounds are speaking about their experiences in some form of medium. My story focuses on bullying, emotional abuse, and how the main character is effected professionally and personally, as well as the relationships within her trusted circle. After this project is finished, I have to get started on my second chapbook, the follow up to Slow to Anger, Merciful. I've been so all over the place lyrically that I haven't had time to update my Youtube page.     

Right on, write on...

Photo courtesy of Miss Rivers



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

My Interview with Eboyne' Jackson

Another Google Adventure