Musiqal Inspiration

About two weeks ago, I hopped on the train with a friend to NYC to see Musiq Soulchild in concert. I am so glad I did. Not only did I enjoy myself, my writing has gotten deeper.

Due to some situations in my personal life, I literally disappeared from the spoken word scene. I have good reasons, about 85% of them I can account for as positive. The other 15%...requires prayer and faith in action. But that night in late October, that was the last thing on my mind. After the burgers, wine, and opening act, the band started jamming and getting the crowd amped. The next thing I knew, Soulchild came out and I started screaming like a hyper teenage girl.

Photo courtesy of Miss Rivers


He briefly talked about love during his set, not the romantic type. He talked about having love for the self to know what isn't or who isn't good for you. Then he talked about the passion behind his music. When he said that love is love, I couldn't help but think of my homie, Saymo because that is what he currently goes by. I started learning about agape love in my Bible class and it was moments like the concert that I was thankful for this reminder. 

No doubt everyone wants to be loved. Everyone has different ideas of what love is supposed to be. One thing I can vouch for is that love shouldn't hurt. If you love someone, would you really do or say something to make them cry or ruin their day? I have worked with people like that and have kicked people out of my life for that. And they were cute, pretty, whatever. A person can be interesting to look at anytime they want, but if they don't treat people with respect it's simply not cool. A pretty face + an ugly personality = no one wanting to be seen with you.

As a lover of music (as well as a lover of Musiq), I constantly search for the meaning of beats on the ear drum. Sometimes I wanna dance, stay mellow, or cry it out, then get back to dancing and feeling good. Soulchild is truly one of my favorites that I sincerely appreciate. His songs are lyrical stories with a hot beat and sometimes I need that.

Even my friend who went had a good time, but still doesn't understand the favor and appreciation behind it. In a nutshell, I feel good.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

My Interview with Eboyne' Jackson

Another Google Adventure