Post-Pubescent Rant #1

Adulthood.

I had no idea that this activity was so strenuous. My mother told me to enjoy my youth, She told me not to rush into growing up...but noooo! I had to be hard-headed and say, "When I'm grown, I'm gonna do this and have that and that's how it's gonna be." Great job, woman child.

This is my unique way of saying I miss my childhood. After turning 28, I am realizing more and more of the things I thought were cool as a kid are more twisted than a pretzel. My goals and views have changed tremendously. I still aspire to write some books (one down so far). I am still working on my fictional story based on real life bullying in the workplace. I am still freelance writing and seeking out additional writing gigs. I have gotten to a point in my life where I am learning to say no to opportunities that don't pay. I did that for years back in college and even after I moved out of my mother's house. Some of us people need to eat...well I have the food. I just have to pay for the gas that turns on my stove so I can make the food to eat...I'm Just Sayin.

Not to mention that I am working in banking and human services. I can't complain, I do find it rewarding that I can provide for myself. Time and unforeseen events, such as the Great Recession, unemployment, and similar things I have no control over. The more I rely on my faith, the more I am able to control how I react.

Most of my friends and associates have discussed our sentiments over the school loan repayment debacle. I have been working hard to understand this from the perspective of the loan representatives/customer service and the debt-ridden clients. We knew what we were getting ourselves into when we signed the promissory notes back in 2005 and 2006. We knew we would have arrangements to repay the loan and build our credit histories. However, we had no idea that finding a job would be as hard as trying to find a meaning to life.

For real though. Sympathizing with the consumer, I have had people tell me, "Girl, there are jobs out there." Where? I know in one year I have applied to at least 200, 300 positions at many companies. I know someone who has applied to well over ONE THOUSAND positions in one year. I have read stories about some who haven't worked in 3, 4, 5 years and are still looking and the school loan reps calling and asking, "When will you repay?"

Now, from the business point-of-view, customer service representatives from the loan companies must make contact with the client who doesn't pay. It's part of their job (at least they have one, but I digress). Yes, other alternatives are provided, such as adjusting the repayment plan, requesting a forbearance or deferment. It may not seem like it, but they are trying to help you get it together.

But what about that one person who has utilized all of his/her resources, is working part-time and barely getting by. What else is available to him/her? This is how it be sometimes:

Photo courtesy of Young Invincibles
Loved this cartoon growing up (and still do). But this meme is the perfect reality check to the struggle plaguing young adults.

I don't regret going to college. I eventually found my way. It was just the part after college. I guess I just didn't know...

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness