MES (Multiple Employment Syndrome)

I broke the cardinal rule of blogging: One must post or update at least once a week. My awkward apologies.

I caught a case of multiple employment syndrome in the past few months. Well to be realistic, writing has always been and will continue to be employment for me regardless if I receive monetary or masthead compensation (both are awesome rewards, but due to increasing cost-of-living expenses, monetary compensation would be a little more appreciated...but I happily digress).

I actually took up some time doing volunteer work talking to others about the Bible, being a performing artist for a local youth initiative, and a childcare support advocate. I was thinking about my various activities and I was blessed to have one of these become a paying gig. Working with the population I do [children who are victims of domestic abuse] has made me see the world for what it really is: a social concoction of mentally unstable-bullies varying many ages who need a special type of slap in the face (figuratively).

As I fight to go off tangent and remain within the realm of the title of this post, I appreciate how much skills I have gained so far working in a bank and working with children and how it can affect my writing for the better. According to the awesomeness of Get a Freelance Life by Margit Feruy Ragland & Laurel Touby and Writer with a Day Job by Ă€ine Greaney, writers with full-time jobs have some structure that they adhere to at work, which can contribute greately to their organization skills.

Talking to people with different personality traits can help me enhance my customer service skills as a banker, find common ground with parents as a youth advocate, daycare teacher, or mentor, and interview people for stories and articles. Plus, good friend relayed to me that 93% of communication is nonverbal. A person can say anything. But what's more important? What you say? How you say it? If you're face-to-face with a stranger, are they being hard-bodied or approachable?

Oh, the things I discover while people-watching and utilizing ever-growing skills. So much to learn in so little time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness