The Facebook Sex Ban

Photo courtesy of UCL News.
Photo courtesy of Public Relations Blogger.


Is it wrong to ban sex offenders from social networking sites? Some think so and some think not.

While checking the frigid forecast on the Daily Freeman, this story was one of the latest headlines this past week. The AP reported that an Indiana law preventing registered sex offenders from using social media websites accessed by children was declared unconstitutional by a federeal appeals court. Even though U.S. District Judge Tanya Walton Pratt noted that the internet remains open to convicted offenders, she ruled that social networking did create a "virtual playground for sexual predators..."

I am not a parent, but I am an auntie, teacher, childcare volunteer and mentor and can understand why officials and others would want to enact a law such as this. With the iElectronics evolution and new smartphones and tablets coming out every week, talking about this is purely inevitable. I could blame my opinions on my old school upbringing, but I'm still trying to figure out why children...no; toddlers know how to operate an iPad.

Growing up, my mom wouldn't even allow me to have an email address. Today, kids at the onset of puberty have profiles on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. I know she meant well in keeping me safe and preventing unwanted strangers from knocking on her door asking for her daughter. I know a few good parents who question their children's intentions of using the internet and study social media to the very tweet. At the same time, independence, freedom, and rebellion tend to permeate teens coming of age. With sexting, six-pack pics, and little girls wearing their doll's clothes, there is a reason mom and dad are up in your business.

As far as the convict who served his time, people in society still sense a reluctant trust that can't be moved. Yet, he feels that his rights as a citizen are compromised. Yet again, society says he wasn't concerned about his rights when he committed the crime that he did.

Well, shoot! This pending debate is just too much for me. As interesting as it sounds, this is just one state. Imagine when it becomes a national comfrontation...

**Disclaimer: Both men and women can commit sex crimes, the majority of offenders are males. Once again, this fact is broken down just in New York state. I wonder about the statistics in Indiana, or the rest of the states.**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness