The Passion of Coco Davis

I recently had the opportunity to interview Coco Davis, a talented author who is currently incarcerated. Doing time in the big house has not stopped her from writing her novels. Here is an excerpt:

Nicole Davis is a sister, mother, wife & writer. She let nothing get in the way of her passion to write, not even being on lockdown.

Originally from Chicago, Davis was an outspoken tomboy who always had a love for writing. She went to school, where she studied real estate. Davis is currently serving a fourteen year sentence in a federal prison after a series of unfortunate events. However, the fourteen years are almost up. While serving time, Davis became a phenomenal writer of the novels, Chicago’s Baddest B----, Unfinished Bizness, Fire and Flame, and 3 Brothaz.

A friend of Davis served time with her in a correction facility in Danbury, CT. Once she was released, she lost contact with her, but maintained contact with Davis’s god sister. The friend turned out to be Michele Fletcher. Fletcher started a publishing company, Davis made contact with her friend and went from there. Davis spoke with Parlé about her writing, her plans after being released and her latest projects.

Parlé: Where are you from? What were you like as a child?

Nicole "CoCo" Davis: The windy city, wow it’s been a long time, but what I do remember is me being very spoiled and very outspoken. I loved to talk and run with my brothers. So you can say I was a tomboy.

Parlé: Who or what inspired you to write?

CoCo: I don’t want to sound arrogant, but I have always wanted to write. I just never could find the time to do it. So I guess I would have to say Michael Baisden, especially after reading Why Men Cry In The Dark. At that time I was on house arrest with nothing but idol time on my hand. The book was very, interesting as well as funny. I love reading his books, because he is an awesome writer. After that I continued to read book after book that’s when I decided to pick my pen and start writing.

Parlé: Is it hard not intertwining you personal life with the stories you write or have written?

CoCo No. I have a vast imagination when it comes to creating characters from my stories. My personal life is my personal life. I try my best to stray away from that but don’t get me wrong. I have taken what I know about the streets and collaborated what I know into my writing.

Check out the rest of this article at Parlé Magazine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness