The Sociology of a Black Woman, pt 1

They attempt to construct who we are, but it's through a negative light;
what I call self-defense, they call belligerent and quick to fight.
If we hold our heads upright with confidence and positive idiosyncrasy,
we are perceived as haughty and behave selfishly.
I'm neither above nor below anyone here but in myself I do take sufficient pride.
I refuse to besmirch my character for their sake and have them make
big profits on the side.
My place in society I am taught by force, and this we all know well.
Everyone has the freedom to do as they please, but let a black woman
do her own thing, all our quick to run and tell.

This society is anything but just, reasserting who we really are is a mandatory must!

Things people say about us as a whole they swear they know up and down.
They make reference to these crazy stereotypes and use them to keep us down.
Some have said that we aren't able to learn and are destined to suffer defeat,
they yield the audacity to degrade our potential and think they have us beat.
From our voluptuous appearance, they perceive us good for one thing,
but we are good for many.
Sexual activity is not my game, so no thank you little boy,
I don't want to get friendly.
We have accomplished so many things, but they have stolen it all. 
Had it not been for Big Mama Thornton, 
Elvis would have no hound dog to backtalk at all.
We work so hard, yet we do too much, yet if we put forth no effort,
we are destined to give up.

Do you know what it is exactly that they don't like about you or me?
Is it our faith, strength, self-assurance, and natural ability?
The ability that we have to succeed they can't bear to accept, 
yet we are still treated as if we are inept.
I know who I am and you know who you are
and not one person can take that away.
Their views of how we should live, from our goals stray us away.
Making sure that we fail in the ultimate plan, this will be attempted through many forces,
contrary to what fills up their heads, giving in or up are no alternative choices.

We are not sexual property, nor are we weak!
A new plan is now in immediate effect:
Recognize the beautiful, intelligent, and gifted black woman; 
we deserve nothing less than respect!!!

Printed in the March/April 2007 issue of the Fahari-Libertad Magazine.
Original post link: http://www.tributetoblackwomen.com/poems/sociology.htm
Pt. 2: A work in progress



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Interesting Highlights of my Summer

Another Google Adventure

Redirecting the Dopeness